Healthy Chia Banana Bread is an easy, healthy recipe perfect for breakfast, snacks, or dessert!
That’s not something I thought I’d be saying like…a month ago. However, I have noticed that many people have recently discovered their love for baking (either out of sheer boredom or necessity) and banana bread has been all the rage (that and sourdough? for some reason?).
Luckily for you, I was already working on this recipe pre-quarantine, so I guess you could say I did it before it was cool ;). #hipster
This banana bread recipe is nice and moist, with an added bit of crunch from the chia seeds! Chia seeds are high in protein, fiber, and healthy fats, so they’re an easy addition to baked goods when you want some extra nutrition. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
How to Make Healthy Chia Banana Bread
To make this easy recipe, you’ll need to grab the following ingredients:
3 large overripe bananas (the riper they are, the better!)
1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbsp chia seeds
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a bread pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl or stand mixer, mash or beat bananas until no large pieces remain. Some clumps are okay.
To the same bowl, add the honey, egg, and applesauce. Mix until well incorporated.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Don’t overmix.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in the oven at 350F for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow loaf to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before carefully removing from load pan and letting it cool completely on a cooling rack. Store in a Ziploc bag for up to 5 days.
Can I Use White Sugar Instead of Honey or Maple Syrup?
Yes! You can use 3/4 cup of white sugar instead. It will change the flavor a bit, but will still taste yummy and banana-y!
Can I Use Oil Instead of Applesauce?
Yes! You can use 1/3 cup of vegetable oil or 1/3 cup melted coconut oil instead of applesauce.
Healthy Chia Banana Bread
- large bowl
- medium bowl
- Measuring cups & spoons
- Rubber spatula or large spoon
- 3 large overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup or 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce or 1/3 cup vegetable or melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line bread pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, mash or beat bananas until no large pieces remain. Some clumps are okay!
- To the same bowl, add honey, egg, and oil. Mix until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, add remaining ingredients. Stir well and add to wet ingredients. Don't overmix!
- Pour batter into a prepared bread pan. Bake in the oven at 350°F for 50-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before carefully removing from loaf pan and allowing it to cool on a cooling rack. Slice and enjoy! Store in a Ziploc bag for up to 5 days. No refrigeration needed.