Dark Chocolate Almond Date Bars are a sweet treat that contains just four ingredients. They are made in a food processor or high-power blender. Unlike many sweet treats you might enjoy, they have fiber, protein, and healthy fats! This recipe makes 8 or 16 bars, you can cut them how you like based on your preference and health goals.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Almond Date Bars
To make these delicious bars, you will need:
– a blender or food processor
– a sharp knife (a chef’s knife works)
– pitted Medjool dates
– raw, unsalted almonds
– dark chocolate (the darker the better, I used 56% cacao which is going to have more sugar than darker varieties. It’s up to your preference, budget, and what’s available near you)
– chia seeds
To begin, roughly chop your almonds and dates. I cut the dates in half and chopped the almonds until they were about pea-sized. This just makes sure everything gets blended enough to where you have small chunks of almond that are evenly distributed throughout the date mixture.
Next, add dates, almonds, and chia seeds to your blender or food processor. I use a large blender and blend until everything is cohesive and a “dough” forms. It should stick together well. I stop the blender several times, scrape the sides down with a spoon, and pulse or blend it again. If you use a food processor or smaller blender, it may be best to pulse the ingredients in batches until it comes together.
Either way, the process takes several minutes, so don’t be discouraged if it takes several tries to get everything blended together!
Once you have your dough formed, line a 9×5 bread pan with parchment paper. With slightly wet fingers (trust me on this one–a bit of water prevents the dough from becoming a sticky disaster all over your hands!), spread the dough out into the lined bread pan until it is evenly spread.
Set the pan in the freezer for an hour to set.
Ten or so minutes before removing the dough from the freezer, prep the chocolate topping. Melt half of the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. The easiest way to do this is to heat it for 20-30 seconds at a time, stirring between each turn, until the chocolate is melted.
Next, add the remaining chocolate chips, about two tablespoons or so at a time. Do this until all of the chocolate melts together. If you have to reheat it, that’s okay. Follow the same rules as above for melting chocolate in the microwave!
Remove the dough from the freezer. Pour melted chocolate over the dough, and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt. Set it back in the freezer for 2 more hours.
Remove the bars from the freezer and let them sit on the counter for about 10-15 minutes before cutting into 8 equal bars. You can slice them into 16 bars if you want smaller portions, too!
They are best kept in the fridge and can be stored for up to one month.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and be sure to leave a rating and/or comment below after you try them!
Dark Chocolate Almond Date Bars
- Blender or food processor
- 9×5 inch bread pan
- Parchment or wax paper
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Microwave-safe bowl
- 3 cups pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- sea salt, optional
- Roughly chop dates, then do the same to the almonds.
- Add to a food processor or blender. Add chia seeds. Alternate between pulsing and blending on high. Scrape down the sides with a spoon as needed. This may take several minutes and rounds of scraping-and-pulsing. Do this until a "dough" forms. All of the ingredients should stick together and be well incorporated.
- Spread dough out evenly into a 9×5 bread pan lined with parchment paper. It is helpful to wet your fingers just slightly so the dough doesn't stick to your fingers!
- Place the dough in the freezer for an hour to set.
- Melt half the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Add the remaining chocolate in small amounts until all chocolate is melted and smooth. Remove dough from the freezer.
- Pour chocolate over date bars and spread evenly. Place bars back in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Remove bars from the freezer and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Slice into 8 even bars or 16 even bars, depending on the portion size you prefer. Enjoy immediately.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one month.