I AM SO EXCITED.
This is a recipe I’ve had on my list of things to make since about the time I started my blog.
One day, my husband decided he was going to make us breakfast. Some twenty minutes later, he walked in with this delicious mixture of eggs and chipotle chilis on top of a toasted corn tortilla. I told him right then, “This needs to be on my blog, this is AMAZING!” and he agreed.
So, here we are. I added a couple things to spice it up, but the credit’s gotta go to him. So, without further adieu, from my husband’s creative mind comes undoubtedly my most eye-catching recipe so far: chipotle lime breakfast tacos.
These chipotle lime breakfast tacos are a beautiful, quick, flavor-packed dish full of healthy fats, protein, and complete with the fresh flavors of lime and cilantro. It is so versatile, you could easily swap out the meat and make this a dinner recipe, swap out the corn tortilla for flour if you prefer that, or change up the toppings!
What I love about this recipe is that it is incredibly easy to prepare, yet it looks like something you might get at a restaurant or a taco truck. Who doesn’t want to wow their guests without feeling the urge to rip their hair out halfway through preparation?
Tips for Making Chipotle Lime Breakfast Tacos
It is important to actually toast the tortillas for a couple minutes. This helps them get that gorgeous golden brown color and prevents them from splitting down the middle!
I also recommend using red onion and not substituting it, because it has more of a zing to it than other onions, and it compliments the rest of the flavors well!
Lastly, I recommend coarse ground black pepper. I buy this one from Costco. Additionally, if you can crack it fresh then you’ll get an even better tasting flavor combo!
Be sure to leave a comment and a rating after you try this recipe, and let me know how you like it!
Chipotle Lime Breakfast Tacos
- skillet pan
- medium bowl
- measuring spoons
- baking sheet or sheet of tin foil, for toasting tortillas
- 6 large eggs, whisked
- 1/4 one medium red onion, thinly sliced optional
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 8 4-6" tortillas, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 2-3 medium avocados
- black pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp total)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- While oven heats, prepare onion and cilantro. Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Once preheated, toast tortillas in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until the edges begin to curl.
- While the tortillas are toasting, add olive oil to a saucepan on low heat. (Don't forget about your tortillas–remove them from the oven and set them aside once toasted!) Add chipotle peppers to the pan, gently stirring and breaking them into bite-size bits with your spatula as they cook. Saute for about 1 minute.
- Increase heat to medium. Add whisked eggs to the pan (yes, all 6 of them!). Slowly stir and scramble them.
- Continue scrambling egg and chipotle mixture until eggs are fully cooked. They should be fluffy and slightly wet. Be sure not to overcook them or your eggs will dry out!
- Remove eggs from heat and have your tortillas close by. Place approximately 1/4-1/3 cup of the eggs onto each tortilla (you can totally eyeball it ;)). Add desired toppings: monterey jack cheese, black pepper, avocado, cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime. Serve immediately.